Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Angels watching over him.....

Riley had a great start to Kindergarten! Thanks to his great teachers and to his buddy Cheryl Plaster (previous pre-school teacher) for helping transition him to his new school. The first two days were pretty flawless! He came home happy and even got on the bus without a fight! :) Then on Monday morning we received a phone call from the school stating that Riley had gone missing, the school had gone in lock down, 911 was called and that Riley was found at Newberg High School. This news was devastating. The distance between Mabel Rush and NHS is considerable. He is 5 and doesn't speak. The news was too much to take.

Riley had left the playground during recess and nobody witnessed it. *(Not surprising, I'm telling you ...he is Houdini. ) He went across a field, under a fence, through another field and through the football stadium to the High School. The PE teacher found him and called 911.

It was a terrifying day for all involved. I talked to one teacher who stated this was the scariest things she has ever had to encounter. A non-verbal child missing. She had tears pouring as she told me this. I just kept repeating....." Believe me, I live this nightmare everyday. "

I completely feel for the teachers who lost track of him. I have been there. Many, many times. Although I am WAYYY more in tune to Riley's needs and reactions then they would be. I'm his mom though.

There is a new Protocol coming into place. A sort of recess confinement to one area, walkie talkies etc.
I do want to say that we are so thankful for everybody involved. Mabel Rush, Newberg High School, and Newberg/Dundee Police Department. Riley arrived home safe yesterday. I have been told and have thought many times.....That Riley has angels watching over him. Often he will look up into the sky or at a far away wall, out a window, and smile and his eyes light up. He will talk away as if he is talking to somebody. Carry on a conversation only he understands. I promise you. It was confirmed to me yesterday that he has angels (fast ones at that) watching over him. One for sure being my dear friend Lynelle. I can feel her sweet spirit as I type. Tonight I will pray to the heavens and thank her for taking such great care of my child, for hovering and keeping him safe time and time again. It is truly a miracle that he is safe and alive today. Although the unfortunate circumstances of her untimely death, I feel she definatley has a divine purpose. And I always tell people, it's as if she has never left. I still feel her all the time. Her purpose is to take Riley under her wings and keep him safe. I can't thank her enough. She is doing an impeccable job.

Through the tears,
Riley's Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Sarah - Jay Larkin here. I COMPLETELY feel your pain and concern. As I read the "missing riley" story, I recollected the many many times Brig went AWOL. Our family instituted a "Brigham Alert" system, sending each family member in a pre-designated direction.

    Angels truly do watch over these beautiful children. Our angel was our dog Rocky - an amazing and heavenly attentive Border Collie. Years ago we lived on a farm in South Dakota. Our long driveway spilled out onto a 55 MPH country road. One day Brig decided to take a stroll to the cluster of homes about a mile away. To do so, he had to walk along that trecherous road. Rocky was witnessed "herding" Brig away from the road, keeping him safe. Needless to say, I encased our entire property with Sheep Wire fencing, including a gate which he successfully scaled more than once. Thankfully, each time Rocky somehow found a way through the fence and kept Brig safe.

    For those of you reading Sarah's account, or my account and thinking "gee I hope they are able to get that dog", can I encourage you to listen to your heart and ACT NOW - pull out your wallet. Every $5 helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jay. You and Monique mean more to us than you could ever imagine. I just wrote your mom back. She can explain to you just a small piece of our incredible love for you. Thank you for being there for us since Riley was just a couple of days old. We do miss you around here! Say Hi to Brigham! What an AWESOME kid you have! Much love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete