Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Million dollar Pepsi


I really have to tell you.....back when I was a (out of home I will add :) )working mom I needed a morning receptionist to fill a hole in our staff. An incredible candidate came in and stole the show. Without a doubt we knew she would be our new receptionist. She quickly became a huge part of our team. The only problem was..... She always was struggling. Being a receptionist, she didn't make good money, benefits were not offered for her, and her hours were part time and crummy. We had conversations quite often about her making it day to day with the costs of living. I remember clearly the day she drove to work with a shiny black car and the smile on her face! She drove a baby blue clunker before that. It was so great to see her happy! She was SO PROUD! Yet, she still struggled financially. She was alone and paying all bills solely. Now just so you understand. This lady has incredible skills. Finding a place to pay her for her vast amount of knowledge is something else. Just brilliant. Just no jobs.

She eventually went on to work for a large Grocery store chain where they quickly saw her abilities. We were happy for her move. That she might be able to get things straightened out. Later I quit that job for health reasons and have very rarely kept in touch over the past 4 years. Once in a blue, blue while. Although she is still in my address book of course since I want to stay in contact with her.

While sending out the initial letter regarding Service Dog for Riley I attached her name to the email. She was always a dog lover. ;) And I knew she was friends with a local vet in town. Maybe she would have some friends that would like to help out!

Well a couple of weeks had passed since the letter went out and a knock came at my door. It was this dear friend holding a tattered case of Diet Pepsi with one can gone. She hugged me and said she didn't have anything of value to sell at the garage sale but she wanted to be a part of it and that she thinks that somebody would buy the case of soda. It was truly a heartwarming experience. I know first hand how badly she struggled. We would talk about it all the time. Trying to make it paycheck to paycheck. Asking me for more hours, and always looking for a raise. (which she did deserve). I just find it SO INCREDIBLE that she wants to help the cause so badly that she would look around to find something like that. That is pure, unconditional love. I will always have a place in my heart for this lady. The day we met her (and all the other 50 + applicants) I knew she was special. She still four years later makes me smile! Thanks for being you, being a friend and caring enough to help out little Riley. It is people like you who will make this happen. If you are reading....you will know who you are. You have no idea what an impact your Pepsi made on me. Thank you for the Soda! It is worth a million dollars in my eyes. HUGS to you.


Sarah
P.S. I have tons to write about our first Class with All is Pawsible! It's late though. Will write another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment